Monday, January 9, 2012

365 Days of Kindness

Pin It
Image created by Jen Bradshaw of Twiddler House
The Savior's life was completely centered in serving and caring for others. To become like him, we must also develop a love for and a desire to serve others.  We've done 30 Days of Service in Service Boot Camp, and now as a family, we are ready to focus on doing an act of kindness or service every day in 2012...a good turn daily, as they say.

To help us to remember our goal, I've compiled quotes about charity, compassion, serving others, and kindness to read together each morning.  I thought about following the example I've heard of having the family report back at the end of the day, but right now that feels a little checklisty to me, so for now we'll just work on making service a way of life in other ways.  

You can download the list of quotes about service here.  

I've compiled quotes through April and will publish a new list around the time that this list expires!  Happy serving!

PS - If you haven't already weighed in on The Mormon Moment, please go comment...right now!  
PPS - Thanks to Stephanie at DD for the motto that inspired the image above...
we are adopting that family motto too!

14 comments:

  1. I love this. Our family has a similar motto: Love one another and show kindness in all that you do and say. We decided to add in the say part after one night when my sons actions were nice but his tone of voice was not. And just recently we have tried to recap one nice thing we have done for the day to help remember that we need to make this a way of life. I really appreciate the quotes and stories you have compiled. Those will be a great asset to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing thing to do together as a family for 2012! Reporting each day does make the service seem somewhat like a task. Maybe during FHE each week you could have each person or just one person share how the year of service is going for them thus far. Girl, you really do wonderful things with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to join you on this one. I've been thinking a lot about charity this year, the kind that translates into action and is no respecter of persons.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great goal! You totally inspired me with your boot camp last year, and that is going to be my goal for February - one act of kindness/service per day. I was surprised at how quickly a list formed in my mind of little things our family could do for others! Can't wait to hear how your year progresses.

    Thanks so much for including my printables! What a nice surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I LOVE your blog. I read it all the time, but this is one of the first times I have commented. But I am going to comment more. I love this idea! And what cute printables and great quotes to inspire us. I think I will start using them after our scripture study each morning! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Katrina and you live in Pennsylvania, Katrina! BONUS POINTS!!! Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good start to the new year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Try to show kindness in all that you do..." Gracious day, that makes me tear up every time!! I'm rearraging some wall art and I think i'll print that one out, thanks for sharing! And thanks for the 365 quotes, one of my "resolutions" this year is to get my spiritual fill every day, whether reading scriptures, listening to talks, or just singing primary songs with my boys. Anyway, thank you for the boost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sooo using your list of quotes with my kids everyday!!! Thank you!!! I love your family's goal for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you don't mind, but I shared your "Try to show kindness" graphic with several of my friends who are not LDS who were blown away forever by hearing David Archuleta sing "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus." Amazing how it is now their favorite song. We went looking for "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus" things a Deseret Book but were unable to find much, so thank you!

    Here's the video if you haven't seen it:
    I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus DA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like the Kindness Printable, how do I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a link in the post to get the printable, but it looks like the blog's author took it private. I will try to email her if I get a chance and see what's up!

      Delete
    2. Any word from the Twiddler House Re: the 365 days of service printable? I sure would like to be able to view and possibly print this for personal home use!
      Thank you Lesa Coleman

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah, her blog went private, so I will message her and get back to you. Thanks.

      Delete