Wednesday, August 10, 2011

You've Got to Know When to Hold 'em...


As Kenny Rogers would say "You've got to know when to hold 'em.  Know when to fold 'em.  Know when to walk away.  Know when to run."

I don't know about you guys but those lyrics by The Gambler are ringing really true for me tonight...and making me want to laugh out loud as I type this post.  A friend and classmate of mine used to sing that song a lot (which is partially why I am smiling right now.)  I never imagined that I'd be saying this years later, but, boy, did Kenny ever get it right!

Guy has really caught on to the game of Uno this last week, and it is so fun to watch how excited he gets when he puts down a good card or makes a smart move.  Even losing is fun to him!  Every chance he gets, he asks one of us to play Uno with him.  

And although I seem to have a never-ending list of jobs to do around the house, I try to stop and play with him...every time he asks.  After all, we are just two weeks away from the first day of school, and after that, all bets are off!  :)

But until then, we are playing Uno, and going swimming, and playing Uno, and having friends over, and playing Uno, and snuggling...and dreaming of what adventures lie ahead for us.


Scarlett, on the other hand, has been going through a time of figuring out how to deal with her emotions.  It's just regular developmental stuff for a four-year-old, but I think it might be a condition that has been further agitated by the fact that we've been making such a fuss about Guy going to Kindergarten.

I was beginning to feel at a loss for how to help her, and then I realized that she just needs a little extra love and validation right now.

Ergo....YOU'VE GOT TO KNOW WHEN TO HOLD 'EM. 

Heavenly Father sure blessed Scarlett with some special talents and attributes. She is truly one in a billion, and I am confident that she is going to be one amazing leader in the future.  Until then (like until she goes off to Kindergarten next year!), I'm going to know when to hold her...and that is every chance I get!

6 comments:

  1. I love Uno. I especially love that the deck comes with some blank cards so your four month old can feel like she's a part of game without her ruining any important cards.

    That's so cute about Guy, I have always loved playing cards,and I know it's because my mom made the time for it when it would have been easier for her not to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great last few weeks before school starts. Holding kids and playing Uno sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, adapted to the perfect song lyrics. Clever and insightful, both!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect picture of S & S. Everyone needs that love time especially with the changes coming to your home. So the real question will be what are you going to do with your girls after Guy goes to school? Shop? Ice cream? Paint toe nails? Paint can be dangerous..... Or just go home and read your favorite girly book?

    Best in the next 2 weeks. I thought of the scripture in Luke 2:52. Jesus didn't always stay as the babe of Bethlehem. It brought comfort to my soul. Maybe I share more as a reminder to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet. :) I find myself hugging my boys extra tight these days, as we have only one more week until preschool starts up again. I don't know what I'll do when they have to go to school every day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you could have Guy help you plan a "passing the torch" type of party where he passes the torch of being the oldest at home with mommy during the day to Scarlet who will now be the big helper.

    Right after I had Ganache the three oldest girls went to girls camp for a whole week. They wanted to stay to help with the baby but I made them go because I knew my #4 daughter would love being the oldest at home and would step up to the plate of being the one I relied on to help with everything. She LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete