Monday, June 6, 2011

Magic Touch Bag


School just let out for the "big kids" in our area this week, although it feels like Summer has been well-underway for a while now.  Please tell me you're not bored yet?!

Well, if you are or you just need something to remind your kids what an amazing Mom you are...and how special you think they are...try making this "Magic Touch Bag" with them.

I found this activity in a booklet of activities to do with children to prepare them for Kindergarten that was sent home with preschoolers here in Pennsylvania.


My children enjoyed making it...


...and playing with it together.

Then we talked about why the colors and materials inside acted the way that they did.  I couldn't answer the "why" with anything too profound other than "oil and water don't mix".  Does this mean that I'm not yet ready for Kindergarten?  The colors also do cool things...


Here's how to make your own Magic Touch Bag:

Fill one large ziploc bag with the following ingredients:

cornstarch - 5 tbsp
vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
water - 1/2 cup
green and blue food coloring - 3 drops each (or more)


Seal the bag.  Show your child how to touch and knead the bag to make the liquid move.  Talk about how it feels and the colors inside.

Just something fun to do, especially if you happen to be having a rainy day.  I know many of you are hunting for fun stuff to do with the kiddos this summer.  Hope this helps!


PS - The Power of Moms Blog Contest has been extended an extra day, 
so you can still nominate your favorite blogs today and tomorrow.  Thanks for voting!

11 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! I'm excited to try this with my kids. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun summertime and outside activities. I enjoyed playing in the water tonight washing off my patio furnitures dust after I repotted some plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is great! I am looking for easy stuff to do since I am on the mend from surgery, and Toby is just as hyper as ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun. but read this, convert to wee one's terms and boy have you got a bunch of lessons in life, and temptations, and why: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/why-oil-and-water-dont-mix.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, I totally gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder about this activity. We haven't done it in a while- I should give it a whirl again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! We did it today and had lots of fun! Here is my blog about it:
    http://keepmovingforwardwithme.blogspot.com/2011/06/magic-touch-bag.html

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I never seen this?! Can't wait to try it today. We have a chilly overcast day that makes us want to play WII, but will do this instead!

    ReplyDelete