Friday, June 10, 2011

Countdown to Kindergarten Paper Chain


This is our fun little neighbor.  He joined us to make this "Countdown to Kindergarten" paper chain.  Ever since preschool let out, my kids have been asking when school was going to start up again.  They are so excited to enter Kindergarten and the next level of preschool.  In honor of their eagerness, I decided to make a countdown, so they can observe time passing this summer as they remove one link every day and see their chain getting shorter and shorter.  Just 63 days to go!  (Oooh, the excitement!)  I think it will also help me to remember to make the most of every day that we have together this summer!


I took the kids' pictures and taped their chains to the photos to mount on the wall.  I think it looks kinda cool, because it looks like the chain comes right out of the picture.

Here are two books that we have enjoyed reading as part of our 100 Books of Summer:

The first is called Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee.
Countdown to Kindergarten

The second is called School Days by B.G. Hennessy.  My kids really enjoy the illustrations, rhyme, and searching for the runaway class pet on each page of the book.
School Days
Thanks for your bike name suggestions...I think I'm going to go with J.R., because it says "Joy Rider" on it...and I can also have it stand for Jolly Roger, which is my grandpa's name.  That way, as my friend Millie put it, Roger and Gladys can ride off into the sunset together! :)


5 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea! They're going to love watching those chains grow shorter...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. We get out of school tomorrow and I'm not even ready to think about it starting again. I'm sure mine will be asking about when it will start again in a week or so though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of the "fun little neighbor" holding the photo of himself with the chain continuing out of the photo. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can see how much they love those!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. Isn't amazing how children love school so much! I'm going to have to copy you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete