Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Teaching General Conference to Children



So, the other day, Guy said, "Mom, I wish we could make more crafts together."

Believe me when I tell you, sweeter words have rarely been spoken!  Make more crafts?  I thought, or rather worried, that we might have moved past that stage--the days of making huge messes crafting together like we did in years past.

But no...My boy, who is about to turn 8, has officially put in a request for MORE CRAFTS.  

Son, your wish is my command! ;)

His timing could not have been better.  I need a stress-reliever, and with General Conference coming around again, I want to make sure that my little ones have internalized the messages of the previous General Conference.

We have been working hard to memorize the names and faces of the Apostles, and we have been learning key phrases/teachings from each.  But if we are going to make Steve make good on his promise to bake us a cake that looks like President Monson, then we've got some work to do.  

To help the children name, identify, and recall one teaching from each of the Brethren from the last General Conference, we are going to be doing some kooky crafting to make their teachings memorable.  And I'm warning you, with Halloween coming, there might be eyeballs involved...and owls...and things that go bump in the night.

But I think it will be fun, and I guarantee you, my kids WILL remember this.

So, without further adieu, here is our first craft, which the kids will find in their lunch boxes tomorrow.

These are little white treat bags with eyes glued to the front, made to look like ghosts.  (At least they did on Pinterest!)  Inside is a snack-sized candy bar with this wise counsel from Elder Packer:  "Each of us must stay in condition to respond to the promptings of the Holy Ghost."

I'm not sure how well a candy bar is going to help them "stay in condition" for anything, but what-ev. :)  They'll run it off at recess!  ;)


I simplified it here...and even more so on the second version, since my kids are still just beginning readers, and I want them to REMEMBER this.  You can word it in a way that you know your children will grasp.  For instance you could write, "Choose the right, so you can follow the Holy Ghost," or you can use what I wrote...You can print it here.)

Click on the links below to access the other lessons in this series or see our 

Catch the Wave - Elder Nelson
Fan the Flame of Your Faith - Elder Holland
Stay in Condition - President Packer
A Christ-centered Home - Elder Scott
The Importance of a Body - Elder Bednar
Miracles in Missionary Work - Elder Andersen
Personal Peace - Elder Cook
Drawing Closer to Him - President Eyring

For more GENERAL CONFERENCE IDEAS click here.

And to access all of our General Conference lessons click here.

7 comments:

  1. You are doing great things. I always love what you share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am so impressed with all that you do to teach your children of gospel. Love you ideas and happy that you share them.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo adorable!!! I LOVE this idea- what a great way to incorporate a cute craft with a doctrinal message!! Thank you soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!!!! I don't usually get into Halloween, but these may need to make an appearance at our house.

    ReplyDelete