Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Elder Hales: His Doctrine Will Not Change



I had to get creative while teaching Elder Hales' talk "Stand Strong in Holy Places", because he didn't speak in the regular sessions of General Conference.  He spoke in Priesthood session, so my kids didn't actually hear it, and he speaks not at all on a kid's level.

But it turns out I really like what he talked about, and what I really wanted my children to remember was this, "[When we stand] obedient and strong on the doctrine of God, we stand in holy places, for His doctrine is sacred and will not change..."

His doctrine is sacred and will not change.  How comforting is that?  Very.

When you stand on His doctrine.  When you obey His commandments, you always stand on holy ground, because His doctrine is sacred and will not change.  Specifically, it will not bend to political or social pressure.  

Leaves change.  Interest rates change.  Common wisdom changes.  Some customs or operations in the church might change.  But His doctrine will not change.  It is eternal.  And it is sacred.  His doctrine is the solid ground on which we can all safely stand.


So...what better reminder than a bracelet made of "change!"  This was much easier than I thought it would be to accomplish, when I figured out that nails can punch through pennies quite easily. 


The kids all needed a lot of help...I did most of the pounding, but they all enjoyed doing it.  

Here's what you'll need, and you probably have most of it already.  Pennies, fattish nails, a hammer, scissors, baker's twine or any string that you have handy...and something to bang on (I used a piece of scrap wood so that the nail could pass through the penny far enough to make the right-sized hole that I needed.)


Need a "second witness" of this truth?  


Check out Elder Perry's talk "Obedience to Law is Liberty."  In it Elder Perry says, "God reveals to His prophets that there are moral absolutes.  Sin will always be sin.  Disobedience to the Lord's commandments will always deprive us of His blessings.  The world changes constantly and dramatically, but God, His commandments, and promised blessings do not change."

POW!  Two witnesses, one Conference.
Now go to town remembering that the world might waver, 
but His doctrine is sacred and will not change.


PS - Have tarnished pennies?  You can clean them quickly with ketchup and a scrubby sponge or old toothbrush.

PPS - The first day that Scarlett wore her "change bracelet" to school she had four friends ask her to make one for them.  Move over rainbow loom bracelets!  The penny pounder bracelet is taking over!

Find more General Conference Review Lessons below:


Catch the Wave - Elder Nelson
Stay in Condition - President Packer
A Christ-centered Home - Elder Scott

10 comments:

  1. You are so clever! Where do you come up with all these ideas? You should write an LDS craft book for kids or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...my life is an open book...on my blog! :) For free!!

      Delete
  2. these are great and I love the doctrine. People just don't get it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, am itching to make a few more...and fill Scarlett's friends' "orders!" :)

      Delete
  4. I'm overwhelmed by your awesomeness! Please tell me you took several weeks to do all of these and that you haven't just been whipping them up each day!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did two on saturday one each day last week...one sunday...one at fhe...basically whenever we need something fun. However this was my easiest crafting series to plan because I had almost everything already in my possession...and the lesson is already there in the talks and we have been studying the prophets for five months now. I know it seems like a lot of work to do but it is really not! If this was the week after conf...id be frazzled but its not. We have had time to digest and ponder these great points.

      Delete
    2. Ps you homeschool. I am sure you do all this and more in like one day!

      Delete
    3. Ps you homeschool. I am sure you do all this and more in like one day!

      Delete