Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Visions of Sugarplums...Christmas Book Activity: Day 1


Day 1 of our Christmas book advent activity was just as sweet as the ornaments made.

Guy was the lucky boy who picked and unwrapped today's book. Luckily, we practiced the proper etiquette for giving and receiving a gift last night at FHE, because his face dropped when he realized that this was not a new gift, but a book we've had around for a while.

Actually, it's a Golden Book from my youth of the classic poem The Night Before Christmas--It's worn and well-loved. In fact, the front and back cover are missing! But aren't these illustrations lovely and timeless? I particularly like this page. There's something about this scene of a mother and father tucking their children in bed...as the visions of sugarplums dance in their heads...heartwarming.

Scarlett joined me for the messy part. Guy took one look at the finished ornaments and said, "Hey, let's make them into robots...I'll paint on the eyes."

For a guide to making these "sugarplum" ornaments click here.

Later, we turned to a more edible project, dipping ritz crackers in mint chocolate (delicious!).

And now, I need to send a shout out to the blogger who inspired me to do this book advent.
You can see her advent activities at A Day of Wonders.


2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! I am going to get some books today and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously have had so much fun looking through all of these book+craft combos! And your kids look so happy, too!

    ReplyDelete