Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Joseph Smith and Polygamy


As a fairly well-educated, Mormon woman, does the fact that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy bother me?

No, not in the least.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I have always known that Joseph Smith had multiple wives, as did select prophets  who were commanded to in the Old Testament.  This is a fact that is discussed in Sunday School, and I learned about it as a child from my parents.  It is not hidden.

So, when I hear rumblings online about a few articles floating around trying to portray the "shock" of active Mormon women in hearing this information as if it was a major revelation, I just roll my eyes a little and move on with my day.

Did I read said articles (or the comments that surely accompanied them)?  

Nope.  I don't need to.


You don't get "spiritual answers from God" by reading the NYTimes or CNN.com (even though I used to work there) or the plethora of conversations going on on social media on any given day.  Sorry, you just don't.

If there's one thing I've learned from the life of the prophet Joseph Smith it's that if I have a question about anything, I can ask God and He will answer me personally and directly.  

So, to the honest seekers of truth, if you want to know whether Joseph Smith was commanded of God to enter into additional marriage relationships (as did prophets in Biblical times) or if you're sincerely wondering if the boy Joseph knelt in a grove of trees to pray and saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ, then all you need to do is ask God.  

He will answer you.

Sincerely,
a happy, Mormon woman, who follows Christ, believes the Bible, 
and stands by the Prophet Joseph Smith

(You can read more about this topic here.)