Sunday, March 22, 2015

a True Friend


This is one of my dearest friends in the whole world.  Her name is Sarah.  She is moving to a galaxy far, far away (Idaho), and I'm very broken up about it.  In fact, when she told me she was moving, I bawled like a baby and thanked her for ruining my Christmas.  And even last week, I cried big ugly-face tears three times in one day just thinking about saying good-bye to her this coming week.

Really good, true friends, who make you a better, happier person, really are a rare find.  And this woman for the past five years or so has been like a sister to me.  She has taken such amazing good care of me and taught me what it means to be a true friend.  

She has listened to me, empathized with me, believed in me, and studied the gospel with me.  She has been my visiting teacher and I have been hers (which provided us with both funny, awkward, and tender moments.)  She has laughed with me and kidnapped me. She has stayed up talking with me til 4 in the morning.

She has showed up at my house with food.  She has done my dishes, watched my children, and shared her best roll recipe.  She has gone berry picking with me and made me accomplice in her secret schemes.

She was even my doula in my labor and birth of my fourth child, so there isn't much that we haven't seen each other through or many situations we haven't seen each other in.  If I had to cross the plains, this is the woman I'd want by my side.

Although her absence will create a void for me, I'm proud of her for seeking after the blessings promised in her patriarchal blessing, by following her dream of becoming a midwife.  But man, am I going to miss her.  

I love you, Sarah...happy trails, my dear friend.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, I feel for you. Over ten years ago, my best friend moved away. They told us about it while we were out to dinner for New Year's Eve, and I cried. I was right to do so, because I missed her just as much as I thought I would when she told me. And I still do! She right down the street, and I used to just walk into her house and feel like I'd come home.

    The good news is that we are still very close, and we visit her fairly often in Utah and also at her beach house in CA. But I have never stopped missing her, and I am sending lots of hugs your way. I wonder if, like me, you will avoid driving by her house for a time. I used to go out of my way to miss passing by. It just made me too sad!

    Now I look at her house and remember all the happy times there.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Sue, and thanks for understanding!

      Delete