Monday, October 31, 2011

Things I Will Spend (my husband's) Hard-Earned Money On




I know that the term mommy bloggers really covers a wide range of women (and some men) who fall under just about every socio-economic status, but for the most part, I think if you are reading this right now, you are probably more blessed than you realize.

I love the studies where people are asked to name their "class rank" in society and people unfailingly describe themselves as well below what they actually are.  For instance, people who are upper or upper-middle income almost always describe themselves as middle income.   Why?  No one wants to seem...well...rich.  Because being "rich" makes you "elite"...and being elite is not cool, because it separates you from the common troubles that most "middle class" people face.

But let's face it people.  If you live in America.  If you own a home.  If you can eat dinner every night and shower every morning.  You are most likely rich compared to most other women in the world.

If you've graduated from high school.  If you've gone to at least two years of college (school loans considered) you're probably doing better...much better than if you hadn't.

If you haven't lost a job or landed on someone's hotel-laden property in this monopoly game that we call life in the last little while, you probably have extra cash...somewhere.

So, let's see if we can't find some lying around my pocketbook today, shall we?

At the risk of busting myself with my husband for being the gaping hole in our family's budget, I'm going to tell you a thing or two today about my spending habits.

Here are some things that I have bought recently:


A Halloween card that plays Monster Mash....to put in Guy's lunch today:  $3.84



This dress that I ordered for myself because I thought it would be "slimming":  $50.



Chapstick...one for each member of the family:  $5



Masking Tape that Autumn "made a maze" with: $5



Plants to make my front porch look more inviting:  $50




Halloween Costume...The Hippo & Ballet Teacher costumes were Free.
Guy's Darth Vadar Ensemble: $20




Front Porch Swing (used):  $100




A Boyz II Men CD for me: $11.88



Birthday gift for Guy: $18
(Brick of Mormon Stories)



If I've done my math right, that adds up to $263.72 that I've spent recently on pretty unnecessary stuff.  Now, I'm not really "rich" by the world's definition, but if you are asking me to be straight up, I'll be the brave one and say, yes, I consider myself rich.  I am college educated.  I have a husband who provides for our basic needs and then some.  I CAN stay home if I so choose and play with my babies, and complain about doing dishes and go to my kids' Halloween parties at school, and better yet, the thing that makes me rich is that I KNOW WHERE ALL OF THESE BLESSINGS COME FROM.

Not every woman has the luxury of splurging for cards to put in her kid's lunch box.  I realize that there are actually MANY women who would LOVE to stay home and blog...and craft with their kids, and match a few socks every once in a while.  But the truth is there are many women out there who have to double-duty...work and be a Mom...Or even triple duty...work, go to school, and play Mommy & Daddy--day in and day out.

I am thankful for the material blessings that my family and I currently enjoy, but because I know where those blessings originate, I also know that they are mine to have proper stewardship over.  Meaning:  I must GIVE BACK. I must pass my blessings on.  I must be frugal enough to have some love to spread around...to share what I have been given to give a hand up to women who want to give their families just what I am able to give mine.

And what is keeping them back first and foremost?  An education.  

A college education is so key in our society.  Did you know that single moms with children have the highest poverty rates?  Did you know that single moms who are poor, are poor because of their lower earning capacity, which is directly tied to their level of education?  Did you know that single mom's medium income is only 25% of what married couples make?  (See info here.)

My son's school recently sent home a form where you could fill out the clothing needs of your children (such as hats, gloves, coats, etc.) and the school will help fill those needs.  It breaks my heart to think that some children lack these basic essentials.

But I can see that in order to lift an entire family out of the pain of poverty, we must make it possible for single mothers out there to get the higher education that they need to make this possible.  Coats and gloves can only do so much.

That is why I am so happy to be teaming up with LDS Philanthropies and other mommy bloggers around the country to help raise money to provide scholarships to LDS Business College for single parents in need. 

If you'd like to help by donating to this cause, just click on the widget at the top of this email or click on my sidebar...I'm heading over there to donate right now!

Who's with me?




PS - Oh, and you guys had BETTER go over there and donate, because after this post, I think my husband is either going to ground me from shopping or make me get a job! ;)  I've made myself vulnerable...don't let it be in vain!!!


Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Great post, and yes, you led me right to the point -- loved all your photos of your purchases. As soon as I can, I will hit that donate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a great point--I spent $2 without even thinking about it on the Dr. Who theme song to play at my ward's Trunk or Treat. I'm in for $50. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress...which is always a neccessary along with the chap stick. We ARE truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more good ideas-there is a book in you waiting to be given birth...really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a single Mom to 3 many years ago doing triple duty. With no support of any form from my ex husband. I am now blessed to be a SAHM to 9 kiddos, but will never forget those years past. This is a very wonderful and worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post. My husband and I are serving an Inner City Mission and I can tell you there are so many single moms out there that are in poverty. I had a sweet sister recently that was single with 7 children and had just got a job at McDonalds. She so needs the chance to go to school and make enough money to support her family. Thanks for all you are doing.
    I did enjoy reading about what you spent; the pictures were so cute.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, and you are so right, we are really rich in our society, and we don't even know it. I just watched a couple of films that touched my heart. One was called the Spear and was about the first Christian missionaries to a very violent tribe in South america, and the other was about the first members of the church in Africa, how they loved the gospel and studied it and followed the prophet long before they were baptised. I think it is amazing how many blessings we do have and how often we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brick of Mormon Stories! How cute.

    Your post made me feel so humbled, I am so blessed and I can do so much more for others than I do. Thanks for the sweet reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful post! I just die when I think of all the things I waste money on! This is definitely something to spend money on that will last forever! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a powerful way to recognize many things that we take for granted. Until my mission to Mexico I hadn't realized what a blessing running water and flushing toilets were. Sometimes when we're surrounded by peace, safety, security in our own homes we don't think about all those who are truly struggling around us. I can speak from first-hand experience about single-parenthood. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. And..I even have a college degree. It's tried and tested me in every way possible. Thanks for those of you who show compassion. Often, validation and consideration are of the most helpful things we can do for each other as we all have trials of different types.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome post! We realluy are VERY RICH here in America!!!
    PS. I've been "meaning" to put one of these on my blog; now I've done it! Thanks for the budge!
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete