I've put together quite a few Christmas Book Lists over the years. The reading of Christmas books started with my parents who always read The Littlest Angel to us on Christmas Eve. It is such a tender story and has all the elements of the innocence of childhood, of wonder, of selflessness, of Christ's birth, and of God's love. This year's list focuses on similar themes, but also gives a big nod to serving others and to Santa and all of the wonderful values that this time-honored tradition has brought into my life, both as a child and as a parent.
By the way, the t-shirt above does not actually exist, I just really, really want someone to make it for me. I believe in this mantra so much. I was searching online and saw so many different ways that people "cope" with stress as represented by these "keep calm" sayings, and the only way I could rightly end that sentence for myself, especially during the busy Christmas season, is to keep calm and read to your children.
This month, I hope you will slow down, hold your children tight, tuck them in at night while they will still let you, and read them a good book. Or find a child who needs your attention. Even "big kids" need to be read to.
I hope that as you read this list together, you will make lifelong memories as you explore the true meaning of Christmas, learn the legends and traditions that surround this magical season, and think about what it means for you personally to celebrate and honor the Savior with your children.
Jocelyn's List of the Best Christmas Books for Children 2014
1. Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect by Richard H. Schneider
2. I Believe in Santa Claus by Diane G. Adamson
3. I See Santa Everywhere by Glenn McCoy
4. A Small Miracle by Peter Collington
5. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
6. The Christmas ABC by Florence Johnson (a Golden Book)
7. The Christmas Orange (I like this version best.)
8. Who Is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate
9. Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck
10. The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy by Jane Thayer
11. The Shepherd's Whisper by Heywood Broun
12. The Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
13. The Christmas Quiet Book by Deborah Underwood
14. A Christmas Dress for Ellen retold by Thomas S. Monson
15. Christmas in the Trenches by John McCutcheon (accompanied by this video.)
16. The Animals' Christmas Eve by Gale Wiersum (a Golden Book)
17. On Christmas Eve by Peter Collington (This book is hard to get, but check your library!)
18. This is the Stable by Cynthia Cotten
19. Christmas Around the World Coloring Book by Joan O'Brien
20. Helping Santa: My First Adventure with Grandma
21. Christmas is Here words from the King James Bible
22. The Last Chimney of Christmas Eve by Linda Oatman High
23. The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
24. The Littlest Angel by Charles Tazewell (Illustrated by Sergio Leone)
25. Morris' Disappearing Bag by Rosemary Wells
Bonus: The Tale of Three Trees: a Traditional Folktale retold by Angela Elwell Hunt