Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Memorized Scripture Is An Enduring Friend


Although Steve and I were a little at our limit for messes last night, I was still a little sad to send the kids back to school today.  But life moves on!  And we are stronger as a family after having spent two uninterrupted weeks together.  So thankful for that!

Another thing that I hope will strengthen our family is the goal we have set to memorize the Book of Mormon ABCs this year.  

These are the 26 Book of Mormon verses that I identified two years ago (follow the link above).  I meant to memorize them myself back then, but didn't get too far on my own.  

Now that the children are older (and have already memorized The Articles of Faith), I think it's a good time to work on this together.  I still might swap out a few verses for the shortest ones possible, because I want them to be successful at this...even my littlest one.

As President Packer taught at the last General Conference, there is safety for our families in the scriptures.  Also as Elder Scott has taught "A memorized scripture becomes an enduring friend who does not weaken with the passage of time." So there we will be this year, in the scriptures, making new friends!!  Wish us luck!

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea! We are going to try to memorize the Articles of Faith as a family this year, since my boys just had their 7th birthday, and we have exactly one year until they turn 8 and get to be baptized. I'll have to "pin" this scripture idea and maybe we can use this as our focus next year! As always, LOVE your ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get that a dvd and c to memorize the articles of faith! Love it?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Family goals are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, I needed this today. what a great idea! I love how intentional you are in teaching your children. Mine are 6, 4.5, 16 months and 2.5 months and I am doing all I can here and there - every little bit helps and I appreciate your efforts in helping the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great goal and a great teaching tool for the children...good job.

    ReplyDelete