Sunday, January 15, 2012

He Knows You

Pin It

Some people are not sure that God exists.  The term these people typically identify themselves with is "agnostic".

It's hard not knowing things.  And by nature, in this life, there are many things of which we are unsure.  But we do not have to be ignorant of the existence of a Heavenly Father.  If we want to know that He exists, all we have to do is ask

In 2003, I was jobless, living in Washington, DC.  I was trudging through my second excrutiating month of being unemployed.  My tiny stash of savings was depleted, and the bills were piling up.  One particular day, I was on my way to what would surely be yet another painful job interview--ending in rejection. 

Dressed up, but feeling very down, I sat in the metro station waiting for my train.  

The world was moving so quickly around me.  It seemed like everything that could go wrong in a young life pretty much had--and in a very short period of time.  With no job and no money, I was starting to wonder if one day I might just simply disappear.  Would anyone even notice that I no longer existed?  I was beginning to wonder. 

As my train approached, I said a quick silent prayer, "Please, Heavenly Father, I need to know that you know I am here...please help me to share the gospel with someone today..."

My prayer was suddenly interrupted by the sound of my train's doors opening.  

I quickly boarded my train, and since it wasn't very crowded, I sat in one of the roomy seats usually reserved for the elderly.  I had made a habit of reading my church institute manual during my commute, so I started reading where I left off in a chapter about the nature of God.  

At the very next stop, a woman boarded and sat to the right of me.  After a while, I noticed that she was reading over my shoulder!  She then asked me what I was reading.  I told her that it was a church book about the basic beliefs of my religion.  Before she left the train, I gave her my book, and she gave me a religious book she had been reading.  It was a nice exchange.

As she walked away, I was stunned by how quickly and completely the Lord had answered my prayer.  I was filled with the realization that he was aware of me and cared about my concerns enough to answer a simple prayer whispered in the corners of my mind in a dark lonely subway station.  He let two of his children know that He was aware of them that day.

Some people might rationalize away that little story, but for me, it was no small miracle.  It's something that I try never to forget.

The Lord takes all of us through difficult times in order to demonstrate to us that he is aware of us and that he loves us.

Just last night, I was reading scriptures with my children.  Before I began reading, I said a prayer that I would feel his love for me.  As I read a certain passage I gained even more understanding about why I went through that particularly difficult time in my life.  

This is what I read, "...I will also be your alight in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the bpromised land; and ye shall cknow that it is by me that ye are led.


  Yea, and the Lord said also that: After ye have arrived in the promised land, ye shall aknow that I, the Lord, ambGod; and that I, the Lord, did cdeliver you from destruction..."

The words "I, the Lord, am God", "it is by me that ye are led," and "I, the Lord, did deliver you" really stood out.  They were no longer just words on a page, but a message from the Lord spoken directly to me.  I knew then that the Lord lead me through difficult times so that I would know that He is God. 

The Lord, God, Our Heavenly Father does exist.  Not only is he aware of us, but he is deeply interested in our lives.  You don't have to just take my word for it...You can ask him yourself.

------------------------------
Further reading about Prayer
Further reading about God

PS - This post was originally posted in February 2009 when my only reader was my Aunt Lin.  Thanks for reading (and commenting) Aunt Lin.  


Now I have to add this - Thanks to my Mom and any other silent supporters who might have been out there reading, but who might not have left a comment on this particular post when it posted originally.  (Don't want any hurt feelings!)

21 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I have been feeling this. My husband just took a huge pay cut and things have been tighter than I ever thought possible. I have felt forgotten so many times, but so many times just when we needed help somebody has answered that call. God has blessed us over and over again, each time just when I am forgetting that he knows who I am. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Aunt Lin!!! Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, thanks for sharing. I'm proud to be your aunt Lin, though we've never met in person-I know you through your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we can truly say without hesitation, "if you don't know, ask" boom...no pretenses, He's there, just talk to Him. Great post! So you haven't meet your Aunt Lin? Or is here screen name Aunt Lin? Either way I think it's sweet that you re-posted it and kind of dedicated it to her. You have come a long way since 2009, it gives me hope for my blog. Happy Sabbath :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Yes, well, it's a long story.  She really is my aunt Lin, by marriage, but it's been a long time since we've seen each other because of divorce.  I think we have met at a family reunion (?)...but I was probably like 10 yrs old at the time, so I don't think that counts! :)  She is a very loyal and supportive friend now...in our blogland adventures!  And yes, a lot has happened since I started writing this blog in 2008...I had no idea what I was doing...still don't really!  Just winging it! :)  But I was glad to find out good post from back then and decided to dust it off and let it out into the sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really needed to read this. Thank you for sharing this beautiful answer to prayer. It really is those small miracles that work an incredible change on testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a situation sort of like that.  In a new town, in a new state where I knew no one, by car stops working on  2 lane highway.  But guess who stops and helps- someone with a celestial smile.  I stayed for 2 nights at his house till I bought a new car, then latter that year, lived in this families garage for a while.  What a blessing.  I knew that God was looking out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post.  It is funny how there are times when it is hard to feel the Spirit, to feel God's love.  I think that this is one of the hallmarks of Spiritual Development.  I've noticed that the closer I get to the Lord, the more I realize the distance there is between us.  As I become more cognizant of this gap, I become more grateful for the Savior - who closes this gap, and enables us to feel the infinite love that Heavenly Father has for us.

    Thanks for the beautiful reminder.  It is through the small, simple miracles that I feel God's love for me most poignantly - It is like he really IS REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this part of the scripture passage:  "Yea, and the Lord said also that: After ye have arrived in the promised land, ye shall aknow that I, the Lord, ambGod; and that I, the Lord, did cdeliver you from destruction..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a lovely post! I am some similar moments and know that God does hear and answer prayers and many times these questions are answered while reading the scripture. Blessings to you for sharing this sweet testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok what I love about this is that you asked for the opportunity to serve in order to know that Heavenly Father is aware of you. Most of us would ask for a sign in the  form of a blessing but you didn't. I think this speaks volumes about you. I am totally impressed! I want to be the type of person who, when we need to know if God is aware of us, asks for an opportunity to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my latest heart-prayers is that I can have eyes to see the tender mercies of the Lord. They are such anchors in this journey. I feel like if I can know and feel that God is aware of me, I'm much more able to face the trials I have. And the more I seek to know that He is, the more I see His hand in my life. 

    Elder Bednar's talk on tender mercies was life-changing for me, because it gave me more confidence to trust those 'coincidences.' Three times (if I remember correctly), Elder Bednar told us that it is often the *timing*of things happening that can let us know that they are tender mercies from God. 

    Thank you for sharing this. I needed it today. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jocelyn for following me! I love your blog too.  This post title reminded me of the efy song 'He knows me better' by Jenessa Buttars, if you don't know it you should look it up on youtube - I'm sure you'd love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your many talents with us.  : )   

    ReplyDelete
  15. really?  Lin was the only one reading you then?  Hmmmm...interesting.

    That story always reminds me of Rebecca would tell us to ASK the Father if He Loved me, and how He thought I was doing.  The answer was always immediate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lin was the only one who commented on that post, Mom.  Thanks for reading...You've always done that...I think!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is not little story, it is a great and inspiring miracle. Thanks for sharing as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a faith-promoting experience you had in New York!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post, I am so often deeply moved by how much the Lord knows and loves me on a very personal level.

    ReplyDelete