Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Power to Win



Every time I hear the Primary song "Scripture Power" I cry.

I don't know why.  

I wasn't in Primary the year that song came out.

My children weren't either.

But I clearly remember sitting in the audience hearing the Primary children singing that song for the first time, holding up their scriptures as they enthusiastically (nearly) shouted out
"Scripture Power!"

Here are the lyrics to Scripture Power by Clive J. Romney

1. Because I want to be like the Savior, and I can,
I’m reading His instructions, I’m following His plan.
Because I want the power His word will give to me,
I’m changing how I live, I’m changing what I’ll be.

[Chorus]
Scripture power keeps me safe from sin.
Scripture power is the power to win.
Scripture power! Ev’ryday I need
The power that I get each time I read.

2. I’ll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.
I’ll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.
I’ll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord,
And fight my daily battles, and win a great reward.

[Chorus]
Scripture power keeps me safe from sin.
Scripture power is the power to win.
Scripture power! Ev’ryday I need
The power that I get each time I read.

I guess it makes me cry because I hope with all my heart that my children will grab on to the power found in the scriptures so they can live happy, peaceful, rewarding lives.


I hope you are keeping up with your reading of the Book of Mormon.
Remember we are all trying to read it once through by Easter,
by reading 5 and a half pages a day.

Try to read through Alma 15 today.  
If you are behind, just read extra each day until you are caught up.  
Or go online and listen to the scriptures while you work or work out.

Curious about my robot scripture cover?  I made this for Guy for Christmas this year.  I just used a regular, soft-cover Book of Mormon.  I added cardboard to make it a "hard cover" and sewed the fabric right through both the cardboard and the soft-cover.  Then I added the straps for carrying.  He loves to carry it to Primary, just like the big kids.

There are also some cute boy/robot fabric covered Book of Mormon selections here.

15 comments:

  1. I was in the primary presidency for almost 3 years...I have never cried more frequently. There is something about the simple testimony those children have. Through song, words or just being there, those children know our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so energized spiritually everytime i read the scriptures, and this year i feel more empowered knowing that i am doing "this"/reading the Book of Mormon with many other women who know that the book teaches of truth and testifies of Jesus Christ. I am not alone! I feel a sense of belongingness too!

    I read through Alma 15 today while waiting for my daughter who attends early Seminary class then wrote more letters afterwards! Yipee!!

    I love the idea of the book cover for kids,

    i love the apple green nail polish[yup, i'm a keen observant..hehe!]

    And i love the message of the song...thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song, too. And I love the way our children are getting a strong, solid, specific foundation in the gospel much earlier than they used to.

    The Primary program is truly inspired...and inspirational.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jocelyn, I love this post and the message in the Scripture Power song! Your blog is such an inspiration for so many women. Thanks so much for the mention of the "Robot" covered scriptures in my shop:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song hit me one day when I was struggling being a newly wed. Primary was/is a good place to feel the Spirit. I wish I could remember the verses instead of just the chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scripture Power all the way...I love that song...it can move anyone's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That one always makes me tear up too, one of my favorite primary songs and I don't even have any kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a cute idea for a scripture cover-love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This might be a weird question, but when do you give your kids their own sets of scriptures? My son is 3 and we read scriptures as a family every night, but he either sits and listens or we call him over and have him repeat a verse. I didn't think about getting him his own set of scriptures until this week when he's been very interested in his daddy's scriptures and taking them off the shelf and opening the case, etc. Should I give him a set of cheapies?

    In other news, our bishop challenged us 2 weeks ago to read 9 pages of the Book of Mormon a day, in one sitting. It's been a struggle (well, only the last 2 days, as I'm firmly entrenched in the Isaiah chapters which always kill me) but I am loving this challenge! And as a plus I should be finished on Easter as well. Maybe. There's too much math involved for me to figure that out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was a Primary President when the song came out. I'm in RS Presidency now but the song still makes me cry. I have 2 boys, 8 and 6 years old. The oldest one is reading the Book Of Mormon for the second time and the youngest started this year and wants to finish before his baptism, next year. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in this song. It reminded me the Primary Presentation that year. I had a girl singing a solo for the 1st verse and the rest of the Primary children joined for the chorus. It was beautiful! Hugs from Brazil. By the way, I love the color of your nails.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make scripture cases for my little sunbeams, pretty much the same thing, but hard cover books that are removable... I would love to see more detailed pictures of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that idea! As a Primary teacher I see that most kids don't have scriptures until they turn 8, this is a great way for all the kids to have a set. (Great nails, btw! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kestrel, I think that's totally up to you, but one family in my ward gives each of their children their very own Book of Mormon and scripture set when they turn 8. I think it's a great tradition and will do the same with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kestrel, right now! Our ward wants the kids to love their scriptures so encourages each child to have their own. I would just get them the cheap missionary hand out ones. Then when they are eight they can get a nice set if you wish (my MIL buys them for all the grandkids at their baptism) but I will warn you, they need new scriptures for seminary to keep there and mark. Then they will want new ones for the MTC.... I guess it is a good thing to want!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to make this for the girls. Their scriptures are getting tattered and I think they would have even MORE pride carrying the scriptures with their very own cover. I see a Sunday project coming on.

    ReplyDelete