Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Now That's a BIKE!


I know what you're thinking...Now that's a real bike!

My bike-loving husband picked up this little beauty at our neighbor's garage sale the day I sprained my ankle for a mere $5!

Apparently, when he bought it the tires were flat, the brakes didn't work, it needed a new wire-thingy, it had no beautiful basket, and it was covered in rust.  Oh, yeah, and the front "fork" was all messed up so it didn't steer straight.

He spent about 8 hours fixing her up and whispering encouraging words to her, and what stands before you now is a fully resurrected bike in all her glory.  My husband looked up her serial number online and discovered that she was built in 1972.  So, she's truly vintage.

And, yes, she's a girl.

It's been almost two years since I sold my magnificent first-car-I-ever-owned, named Wolfie.

No other vehicle has been able to fill the void...until now.

Now I am ready to love something on wheels again.

And I am ready to give my bike a name.

Won't you help me?

I was considering Big Red, since I also happen to love Big Red gum...but it didn't seem to really do this lovely bike justice.

Stay and admire her all you like, then leave me a comment with the name you find most fitting!


Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. I actually considered naming her Gladys in honor of my grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! I love it :)

    Stopping by from Leigh's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh how sweet of your husband to spend so much time on that bike...and how beautiful it turned out!

    Let's see...names...Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Petunia? Pink Panther? LOL!

    Oh man, I'm bad at naming objects. I've never done it... I think you can see why. :D

    Love the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love LOVE LOVE the bike!

    So beautiful! How sweet of your husband to fix it up for you.

    Name? Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really sweet of your husband =) He did a wonderful job.

    How about Scarlett?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynette - How funny that you picked Scarlett...that is my daughter's name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever read Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie? The heroine of that book has a bike named Gladys.

    But I'd pick Rosie. Like the Riveter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh, Heather took my name. I was going to say Rosie too. I have a duck named Rosie.

    Our returned missionary said to name her Stacy.

    Love the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say...Ruby but we know that was already taken...so Gladys is my vote. Go Gladys go! And then on the 4th you can put on a straw hat and ride in style just like Gunner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all the suggestions. My thought was Lucy. She has that fifties look and for the famous redhead of that era, Lucille Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason it reminds me of the Bike in the Wizard of Ozz, so name it Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh and I really love the bike. I would love a vintage bike like that, what a great husband to fix it up for you in you crippled state!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww... what a great bike. I totally vote for Ruby!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it! wish I had one like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. elphaba.....(but only for Idina Menzel)

    That bike is so amazing! and truly needs a name. I might even venture a ride on a bike like that....but really a one speed would be better for me. No surprise here that wonderful Steve would renew and restore this beauty. So ride with the wind and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic bike!! I would name her Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely Ruby, it's my favorite. I love it, what a sweet hubby you got. Yay for great wonderful hubbies....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Remember how I like vintage too? Well that is simply awesome. I think she should be Lady in Red or just Lady. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE the basket! That is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh. My. Goodness. I've only dreamed of such a thing and now I see it right before my eyes. She's seriously a beauty, I love it! Especially that basket, gotta love that! I like the name 'Betsy', it's even got a 'vintage' sound to it, 'Betsy'...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Did you name her yet? How about "My cheery cherry"?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, I did! I went with Gladys...see the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why did I completely miss this post? Oh I remember now, i was getting ready to go home in the Philippines with my daughter for the first time!! I was gonna say Yes to Cherry because I was born in 1972!! Gotta read the next post..how's the bike now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is lovely as ever, but hasn't gotten out much this last year and a half!!

      Delete