Thursday, August 21, 2014

Happy Birthday, President Monson


While we were in Utah this summer, we saw President Monson in the Days of '47 Parade.

This was a huge, exciting highlight of our trip that really took us by surprise, and passed much too quickly.  Thanks to my mother-in-law for going early to reserve a great spot to view the parade and on President Monson's side of the street even!

When we realized we were looking right at the Prophet, not 20 feet away from us, my kids were all smiles.  Autumn waved serenely and I did the sign for "I love you."  Good thing I did not know that he was coming, or I might have run up to his car...and been tackled by these khaki-wearing guards!

He was so sweet clapping along with the children as he passed by.  He really does love children.

Just remembering that quick, but special moment, one of my favorite from the summer: 

Happy Birthday, President Monson!

What a special man!



PS - This is my favorite story about President Monson:  During the Depression years, the Monson family lived frugally with few if any luxuries. When young Tom learned a family of one of his friends planned to eat cereal moistened with hot water for Christmas dinner, he invited his friend to his backyard. He then took his two pet rabbits out of their hutch, saying with a lump in his throat, “It isn’t turkey, but they will make you a good Christmas dinner.”  He gave them to his friend for Christmas dinner for his family. He later wrote that he shed tears when he put his two rabbits in a bag for his friend, "but there was a warm feeling in my heart (later) ... when my friend told me this was the best Christmas dinner he and his family had ever had." 

5 comments:

  1. The security in the car looks like Kiefer Sutherland from 24. :)
    That's pretty cool you all got to see President Monson though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun memories...I remember seeing PRes. David O McKay in his traditional white suit after conference in slc when I was a student at BYU. A thrill to see my first ever prophet and feel the witness of the Spirit that he was a prophet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing!! I love his wonderful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you were able to see him up close during the parade. That story is one of my favorite too. I love his book; consider the blessings, I cry a lot when I read the sweet stories.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. That's a touching story for sure.

    =)

    ReplyDelete