Thursday, December 12, 2013

Scrabble Tile Ornaments

Every year our family chases down Thanksgiving dinner by creating a craft together, usually a Christmas ornament.  This is very enjoyable, but mind you, the main purpose in doing this is to kill time between first and second dinner!  Ahem.

But seriously, it's our very favorite tradition, and it's always fun to find out what we are going to attempt to make together!


This year, I found this Scrabble Tile Ornament online, and knowing my parents' great love of Scrabble, my love of words, and Steve's infatuation with staying up until 2am drilling holes in Scrabble tiles--I knew this would be a perfect fit.



We had a whole list of words to choose from--stuff like, love, joy, peace, hope, Christ, wish, mistletoe, wisemen...elf.  On and on.  I think I liked "joy" and "wish" the best.  Because I feel like this year has been a year of wishes coming true for our family.  And when I look into my children's eyes I still see the magic of wishing, and I want to remember that hopeful, happy state forever.

These ornaments couldn't have been easier to assemble.  As I mentioned, Steve drilled the holes beforehand, and I prepackaged the materials/words beforehand, so that when it came time to craft, all one needed to do was pick a baggy/word and go for it.  Using the thinnest floral wire, we simply assembled the letters and beads by twisting the wire behind each bead.  Add a bell at the bottom and a bow at the top, and you're good to go!



Seriously, though...did you think that I was finished?  Nope, just getting started.

Yeah, I'm still talking about Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think you'd also like thumbprint ornaments made from clay.

    ReplyDelete