Friday, December 7, 2012

Wise Men Paper Crowns



Freezing rain gifted us with a two-hour school delay this morning, so we got to bang out another Christmas book and craft activity.


Two Christmases ago, I told you about the book "A Small Miracle" by Peter Collington.

At that time, the book was out of print, but it's not anymore.  They re-released it in paperback, so go out and buy it!  It's a wonderful story...no words, only pictures...really amazing pictures!


This story is so original!  It's a great example of how imagination and magic during Christmas (or anytime) can spark a child's interest and help them to think about how little people can make a big difference in the world.  It's a fun and touching wordless tale with a surprising twist.  (You can see my review here.)


To accompany the story, we created these paper plate wise men crowns.

They are super easy to make.

I had the kids color the plates with yellow crayons or markers.  I had planned to spray paint them gold, which you could, but I decided that was over-kill.  Then, using a rotary cutter, I cut slits through the center of the plate, and let the kids curl the flaps up to make it look crown-like.  Then we added gems to the outside using glue dots.

The only thing I would have done differently is buy larger paper plates.  I used some cheap generic ones I had lying around the house, but I think I could have used larger ones and they would have fit the kids' heads a little better.


Have a great Friday, everybody! 


8 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! You are such a great mom. Really you have inspired me to do more and be more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great...now someone please inspire me to clean up my house. After a two-hour school delay, it looks like a train just ran right through it! :)

      Delete
  2. Did you seriously just have a baby!! Good work, sheesh!=) Also, I recommended Santa and the Christ Child book to you last year and you got it. Would love to know what you think of it.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cute ideas and for the book; I am always looking for new Christmas books to share with my grandchildren. I love the crown Idea and you certainly have some cute little ones as your King and Queen. Such an fun post!
    Keep on enjoying these precious moments and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember buying that book for an exorbitant price last time you wrote about it.

    heehee

    We do love it, though!

    =)

    PS. Cute crowns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was I to know?!!! :) I always think about that though...too funny!

      Delete